Job Title: Senior Performance & Development Consultant
Remuneration: Up to £58,000 plus London Allowance (London base only), pension, 32 days annual holiday & an impressive range of family friendly policies.
Reports to: Katherine Heather, Head of Talent, Performance & Development
No. of Staff Managed: 1
Job Location: Either: London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff or Belfast
To have responsibility within the TPD team for development and implementation of the British Council’s approach to performance management and development to deliver required business benefit. And as a member of the TPD team to contribute to the introduction of global leadership and management development initiatives and systems.
Context and environment
The job sits in the TPD team within Human Resources. This role can be situated in any British Council UK location and reports to the Head of TPD. There are approximately 40 staff in the UK HR team, plus four HR Business Partners, and a global network of HR colleagues. The TPD team focuses on three main areas of work: talent and succession, performance management, and learning and development in a context of organisational change. Once this role is appointed there will be 2.4 Senior Consultants in the overall team, and whilst team members may have specific areas of focus, the team works collaboratively to achieve the TPD goals and objectives, and areas of focus will change over time.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Performance management: in partnership with Strategic HR Business Partners and operational managers globally, lead on shaping policy and enhancing the BC performance management systems, processes and capability to support operational needs and deliver organisational performance in line with the Strategic Framework.
- Leadership and management development: working with TPD colleagues, Strategic Business Partners and operational leaders and managers globally, to work as part of a team to support introduction and/or enhance global strategic leadership development and management development initiatives and systems to increase organisational capability
- Project management: to lead complex projects with global impact within the area of TPD where teams are drawn from across the BC network
- Line management: to line manage one pay band 8, maximising their performance and development
- Suppliers: to provide technical inputs to procurement and to manage global contracts for delivery
Internal: HR Business Partners globally, Management Board; UK heads of department
External: HR professionals in the public and private sector
Other important features of the job
- If the post holder is based out of London, then it is likely that they will need to spend approximately 2 days per week in the London office.
- Some international and UK travel
Right to work in the UK.
The Person Specification
- Creating shared purpose
More demanding - Creating energy and clarity so that people want to work purposefully together
- Connecting with others
More demanding - Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others
- Working together
Most demanding - Creating a shared purpose with others who have very different aims
- Being accountable
More demanding - Putting the needs of the team or British Council ahead of my own
- Making it happen
Most demanding - Achieving stretching results when faced by change, uncertainty or major obstacles
- Shaping the future
Most demanding - changing the nature of what we do and the benefits we gain by thinking and planning with creativity
Skills and Knowledge
- Project Management
- Recent experience of developing and implementing HR policies in the area of performance management in a global matrix organisation.
- Experience of developing and implementing HR policies in the areas of learning & development, specifically leadership and management development, in a global matrix organisation.
- Track record of acting in a senior internal consultancy capacity in an HR functional area, handling complex data and building key relationships across the organisation.
- Relevant undergraduate degree (essential)
- CIPD or equivalent or currently undertaking (desirable)