Vacancy status: Closed. Another successful assignment for Oakleigh Resourcing.
Role: Senior Project Manager
Client: Tata Steel Projects (TSP)
Reporting to: Projects Director
Location: Flexible North West location: West Cumbria or Central Manchester; at least 2-3 days to be spent on site in West Cumbria.
Remuneration: Competitive salary and benefits package
Purpose of job
As part of the wider management team, support TSP in the development of improvements to project management practice across our engineering , manufacturing and fabrication business. Take responsibility for the line management of the Workington Project Services Team including managing the competency and development of allocated staff. To professionally manage a range of design, manufacturing and fabrication projets on behalf of TSP in the Nuclear, Defence and Industrial sectors, ensuring projects are delivered to cost, schedule and specified quality requirements.
Health, Safety & Environment:
- Provide Safety Leadership and ensure that projects are delivered without harm to those involved in the project and minimise impact on the environment.
- Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with all customers in order to gain an understanding of their needs to strenthen customer relationships.
- Manage internal and supplier relationships in a professional and effective manner.
- Full project delivery and P&L accountability for all managed projects (circa £5-£10m p.a.) in line with industry best practice.
- Provide leadership and direction to a team of Contract Managers, Project Engineer, Planners, Support Staff etc in the execution of Projects.
- Provision of a professional, first class, consistent and effective project management service to clients.
- Ensure that projects comply fully with all statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure project change control provedures are estalished and adhered to.
- Any other duties as agreed.
Vision and Context
This role is required to implement professional project management practices and efficieny improvements in relaton to a range of Nuclear & Industrial Projects (>£15m/year). These sectors represent significant opportunity for TSP and effective project delivery is key to our growth aspirations.
All internal clients: to provide a focal point, meet their requirements, resolve conflict and support the growth of the business.
All external clients: to provide a focal point, meet their requirements, resolve conflict and support the growth of the business.
TSP Manufacturing Workshop: to ensure work is managed efficently through the workshop.
TSP Senior Team to report operational and financial performance, opportunities etc.
TSP Planning Team to ensure the Forward Load and associated plans are accurate.
Knowledges and Skills
- An ability to implement effective project management principles and tools.
- Experience and understanding of relevant Contracts such as NEC.
- Sound management techniqus with the ability to apply these through all project phases.
- An appreciation of safety and environmental issues in engineering works.
- Knowledge of quality assurance requirements and procedures.
- Knowledge of accounting and commercial processes.
- Training in risk assessment and have an environmental awareness.
- Sound market/commercial knowledge.
- Chartered Engineer (preferable)
- Membership (or working towards) of the Association of Project Management and/or membership of a relevant professiona institution (preferable)
- Ten years related experience and proven success inthe management of related projects.
- Experience within a manufacturing environment is preferable.
- Demonstrate working/communicating across teams within the company to ensure delivery of projects. Able to identify links and integrate with the business.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritise and work well under pressure.
- A team player capable of leading and focusing team members to achieve objectives.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Computer literate (SAP knowledge an advantage).
- Leading a small team of Project Manager, Planners and Support Staff.
- Liaising with other TSP Senior Management a required to ensure the effective delivery of projects to our Customers.
- Delivering key projects on behalf of TSP and providing the main point of contact with our Customers in relation to project delivery.
- Monitoring the performance of projects delivered from Workington and managed by the team of approximately £10-15m p.a in related turnover.
- P&L associated with all relevant projects.
- Project specific safety performance.
- Customer plaudits/complaints.
- Quality performance of project deliverables.
The Senior Project Manager will be accountable to the TSP Projects Director, for the development and implementation of effectie project management and governance across all projects delivered from Workington. They will be responsible for providing this service to achieve the successful delivery of projects safely, on time, with quality and within budget, reporting regularly to the appropriate Sector Directors as may be required.
TSP operate a Matrix Management Organisational Structure wherbey senior staff work within a mutually supportive framework with clear roles and responsibilities, and with access to a range of support service.
The Assessment Process
- The initial discussions and first screenings will be with Elaine Rippon during April 2013.
- The final stage assessment for shortlisted candidates will take place in May 2013.