Vacancy Status: Closed.
Job Title: Lead Estimator (Mechanical)
Client: Tata Steel Projects
Remuneration: Attractive package with benefits including pension & car
Job Purpose: To establish and lead a professional estimating service on behalf of the commercial and operational teams in support of new business opportunities. To develop and implement professional estimating practices within TSP to ensure that future work is secured, on a competitive basis, and is based on known risks and rewards.
Estimating: Undertaking 'bottom up' estimates for manufacturing and some site installation activities. This will include activities both self performed and sub-contracted. Preparation of BOQ and procurement schedules as part of the estimating phase in anticipation of securing the execution phase. Preparation and costing of Risk Registers and recognising and bounding Estimating Uncertainty for more complex submissions. Interfacing with the various internal approval bodies (ATC process) to ensure that tender submission deadlines are met. Monitoring and delivering estimating work within the sanctioned Bid Costs.
Reporting: Providing accurate reports covering Estimating KPIs, progress information in relation to estimating. Establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders e.g. clients, external suppliers, commercial and legal teams, operational teams, planning, head office estimating teams etc.
Establishing Robust & Consistent Estimating Processes: Implementing best practice estimating processes and procedures which are also consistent with wider TSPW arrangements (including IT systems). Establishing accurate and competitive rates and norms for work undertaken through the Workington office.
Leading a Team: In anticipation of future growth, the requirement to recruit and develop a small team of estimators/related resources will be required. Effectively leading and developing a small team in support of future business requirements will therefore be required.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Manufacturing estimating (preferably heavy mechanical, fabrication manufacturing)
- Establishing and implementing estimating processses within a £30m pa business
- Estimating individual packages of work ranging from £50k to £20m
- Sound market/commercial and contractual knowledge
- Excellent communicator both written and verbal
- Ability to develop and implement written procedures and processes
Competencies & Skills:
- Commercial - good commercial awareness including programming and delivery to budgets/timescales
- Health & Safety - understanding of safety standards, and safety implications of working practices
- CRM - ability to develop and maintain client relationships
- Contracts - detailed knowledge of contract conditions
- Communication - experience presenting to clients
- Team Working - management of a small team (up to 4) of estimators/elated resources
- Motivation - work with minimum supervision, self motivated team player, develop others
Additional: Although based in the Manchester Office the Lead Estimator will spend on average a couple of days per week at the TSP manufacturing site in Workington, Cumbria. A full driving licence and the flexibility to travel is therefore a requirement for this role.