Job Title: Research & Development Manager - GC & GCMS
Client: Scion Instruments Ltd (a subsidiary of Techcomp Europe, part of the global Techcomp Group)
Location: Livingston, Edinburgh
Remuneration: Circa £60,000 salary plus bonus, pension, phi and flexi-working
Job Purpose & key responsibilities:
Manages and directs the R&D programs to meet organizational needs and development of new products. Focusing on Gas Chromatography and Quad Mass spectrometry:
- Develops and implements R&D procedures and techniques.
- Oversees complex research projects, analyzes results and provides recommendations based on findings.
- Assesses the scope of research projects and ensures they are on time and within budget.
- Manages staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs.
- Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets.
- Extensive knowledge of department processes..
- Maintains an understanding of the GC, LC and MS scientific instrument markets. Works closely with product managers to ensure that product design and developments are done in the context of understanding the end user market.
- Delivers project plans including schedule, budget and product features, incorporating input across multiple functions and outside partners. Outlines and tracks dependencies between functional areas.
- Runs regularly scheduled core team meetings, providing transparency around project progress. Sets agenda and documents meeting outcomes. Must have ability to identify key issues and potential challenges and proactively facilitate scenario planning to identify the best choice among alternatives. Ability to influence timely decisions and to take action reflective of business objectives.
- Identifies and responds to issues related to project plan (schedule, budget, resources and scope), facilitating discussions between stakeholders and driving to a resolution. Escalates issues when appropriate. Ability to recognize conflict and apply strategies to overcome it. Thinking in opportunities instead of barriers. Ability to negotiate win-win agreements.
- Drives the team from concept through launch using our product development process. Assures all deliverables are completed and documented properly in each phase. Ability to keep project moving toward successful completion in face of aggressive schedules and unanticipated developments.
- Consistently and persistently follows-up with team members to ensure project deliverables and interim milestones are met.
The ideal candidate will have the following profile and experience:
Qualifications & Experience:
- BSc or MSc in Science/Electronic Engineering/Mechanical Engineering
- Post graduate qualifications would be an advantage.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in managing a multi-disciplinary team across scientific/engineering disciplines ideally in the scientific instrumentation or technology product markets, either directly or within a matrix structure.
- Experienced in a range of analytical disciplines:
- Gas Chromatography
- Liquid Chromatography
- Mass Spectrometry
- Optical Spectroscopy (not essential but an advantage)
- A track record of delivering complex product R & D projects on time, to quality standards and to budget
- Must have an understanding of new product development processes and product life cycle management.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills, including writing of technical documents.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work through complex issues with a methodical approach.
- Must be willing to undertake international travel (on average 4 - 6 weeks pa) to attend meeting, visit Techcomp and Scion Group sites and visit customer sites globally.
Professional / Technical Excellence
- Serve as a Scion Instruments expert in areas of scientific/engineering technical knowledge, and professional expertise.
- Identify technology and / or areas of expertise that could provide competitive advantage.
- ‘Can do’ individual who is able to analyze and break down any barriers in the way of solving technical challenges and reaching targets.
- Generate innovate ideas, solutions and opportunities to enhance business results.
- Demonstrate curiosity in new technologies and products that could add value and opportunity.
- Combined specialist scientific/engineering technical knowledge and project management experience to lead and influence throughout the project life cycle, whilst working to defined budgets and timeframes.
- Excellent planning and organising skills.
Collaboration & Teamwork
- Ability to work across a number of functions and teams in a global business. Able to develop collaborative working relationship with individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
- Motivated individual who is highly productive in delivering developments as part of a team.
- Confident and credible when working with internal and external groups at all levels.
- Demonstrate openness to obtain input from others
- Promote a culture where all ideas are valued; encourage the open exchange of information
- Proactively share timely updates and information with relevant parties
- Ability to analyze, present and communicate technical topics to a non-expert audience and to facilitate meaningful discussions among groups with varying levels of expertise
- Keep up to date with important global activities and trends (e.g. competitive, technological, social, economic and political) that may have an impact on the business
- Understand business dynamics and market needs when formulating or executing initiatives
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of how own role and actions contribute to revenue generation and cost reduction.
- Financial and budget management experience.
Accountable for Results
- Drive problems toward resolution when encountering ambiguity, uncertainty or inflexibility.
- Set and convey clear goals and expectations; hold self and others accountable.
Influencing & Energising Others
- Inspire others to define new opportunities and continuously improve the organisation.
- Goal orientated you will bring personal energy and drive to the role; lead by example.
The assessment process provides both parties with the opportunity to assess cultural and team fit, individual and organisational aspirations, and details of the key objectives and priorities for the role.
Elaine Rippon of Oakleigh Resourcing is the Retained Consultant for this assignment:
- The initial discussions and first screenings will be with Elaine Rippon during November 2017.
- Client interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place during December 2017/January 2018.
No agency CVs. Any agency CVs sent direct to the Scion Instruments will be forwarded on to Oakleigh Resourcing Ltd.
Techcomp Europe Ltd: an overview
Techcomp Europe Ltd, based in the UK, comprises of a group of European companies engaged in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of analytical systems, life science equipment and laboratory instruments with operations dating back to 1920.
The Group consists of Scion Instruments (based in Livingston, Edinburgh with manufacturing in Shanghai and The Netherlands) with a range of GC and GC-MS analytical systems, Edinburgh Instruments (based in Livingston, Edinburgh) - a leading photonics technology manufacturer, Froilabo - (with factories in France and Romania) specialising in Ultra Low Temperature technologies, Precisa - (manufacturing in Switzerland) offering a complete range of high precision metrology and weighing solutions, and Dynamica - (based in the UK) that supplies a wide range of analytical and laboratory instruments.
Products include spectrophotometers, spectrofluorometers, chromatographs, GC and GC-MS systems, precision balancers, freezers, ovens, incubators and centrifuges.
The Group products are distributed across Europe with direct support from local factories and commercial teams, throughout Asia out of distribution operations in Hong Kong and across Latin America from a dedicated office in Mexico City. Techcomp Europe is owned by Techcomp (Holdings) Ltd. Ordinary shares are traded on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (SEHK) as stock code 1298. The company employs over 800 people worldwide with manufacturing sites in China and Europe.
For more information please visit: http://techcomp-eu.com
Scion Instruments: an overview
Scion Instruments Ltd is a global scientific instrument manufacturer with operations in Holland, UK, Shanghai and Texas. Scion’s parent, Techcomp Europe Ltd. acquired the ex-Varian Inc. Gas Chromatograph (GC) and Single Quadruple Mass Spec (SQMS) assets from Bruker in November 2014 and created a new business to support the Petrochemical, Environmental and Research markets. Under Varian, the GC systems were market leaders with an especially strong presence in the Petrochemical and industrial markets supplying complex GC analysers to meet a wide range of standard testing methods.
A variety of sales channels have been established via direct sales teams and local dealers who are also supporting customer technical and service requirements. The forecast for sales in 2017 is between $20-25m.
In the three years following the acquisition, GC assembly has been relocated from Singapore to an existing Techcomp factory in Shanghai and the GC Analyser operations have been relocated from California back to Holland where the original Varian expertise for GC Analysers had been established over many years. The headquarters for Scion is now located in Edinburgh alongside other Techcomp Europe Ltd businesses. A sales and service operation has been opened in Austin Texas for North America.