Status: Closed. Another successful assignment for Oakleigh Resourcing.
Job Title: Head of Higher Education (Teaching & Students)
Client: The British Council
Location: British Council UK office (London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast) (confirmation of role in any UK location is subject to office capacity)
Role Purpose: To provide expert professional and business leadership for the development, delivery and evaluation of the British Council's (BC) global Education strategy in the area of higher education (focused on the core HE elements of: students, mobility and teaching) aligned to wider corporate and Education & Society (E&S) objectives and priorities, ensuring the portfolio makes a highly respected and significant contribution to the organisation's cultural relations across all E&S income streams.
Scope of 'Teaching' aspect: Student Recruitment, Student Mobility, Scholarships, Alumni, Curriculum Development, Quality Assurance, Student Facing Business/Industry Links, Trans-National Education.
Engages with: Pro-Vice Chancellors for Teaching and Learning or equivalent; Pro-Vice Chancellors International (recruitment and mobility elements); Head of International Offices; relevant senior civil servants in HMG and devolved administrations; heads of national agencies and apex bodies in relation to students, mobility and teaching.
- Raising sector knowledge
- Ensure the quality and effectiveness of relationships with the UK government
- Engaging with UK HE sector bodies
- Effectively communicating the role of the BC in international HE and teaching
- Demonstrating benefit to the UK
- Developing new relationships and ways of working
- Developing new products and services
- Working in close conjunction with the Lead for HE & Research
- Strategy and Planning
- Portfolio, programme and product development
- Market building and brand positioning
- Sector/subject expertise
- Relationship, stakeholder and key account management
- Commercial and Resource Management
- Leadership & Management
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent by experience
- A broad and deep knowledge and understanding of current UK HE issues and priorities, and the politics associated with these
- Previous experience:
- in HE management and international strategies
- in a leadership role
- of successfully developing, communicating and implementing new strategies in a culturally diverse context.
- A track record in building and developing credible high profile relationships with multiple senior stakeholders in the UK and overseas and communicate strategic purpose to diverse audiences.
- An understanding of the HE teaching, mobility, recruitment and alumni agendas in the UK and/or HE policy in the international context.
- (Desirable not essential) Previous experience of majour programme leadership in an international context.
- (Desirable not essential) Broad awareness of the differing situations of HE in different contexts around the world.
British Council Core Skills:
* Planning & Organising * Commercial & Business Development * Communicating & Influencing * Managing Risk * Analysing Data & Problems * Account & Partnership Development
British Council Behaviours: (all at most demanding level. See BC web site for more information)
* Creating Shared Purpose * Connecting with Others * Shaping the Future * Working Together
Closing Date: 7 October 2016