Status: Closed - Another successful assignment for Oakleigh Resourcing
Role: Director & General Manager
Client: Tata Steel Projects (TSP)
Reporting to: Managing Director (TSP)
Location: West Cumbria
Remuneration: Competitive salary and benefits package
Purpose of job
Lead the day to day operation of the Workington Facility ensuring that the P&L and Balance sheet deliverables are achieved.
- Provide leadership to Cross Functional Team that is currently working within a Matrix Organisation.
- To manage the Senior Management Team in order to deliver P&L and Balance Sheet performance.
- Work closely with the Finance Function, develop the Annual Plan with the other Functional Leads, and then measure performance through Variance Analysis.
- Work alongside Functional Directors to ensure the performance and improvement of personnel on site, ensuring that the Functional Teams deliver against the AP.
- Ensure that the Continuous Improvement ethos of the business is further developed and that the principle of Self Directed Work Teams is implemented.
- Provide the Industrial Relations conduit through which communications with the Unions and Workforce is further developed.
Vision and Context
This role is required to ensure that the restructured business proceeds to profitability as per the Strategic Plan presented in December. This is an essential role to replace the incumbent Interim Director and to ensure that new ways of working are reinforced and adhered to in the future.
- All Internal Clients - to provide a focal point, meet their requirements, resolve conflict and support the growth of the business.
- All External Clients - to provide a focal point, meet their requirements, resolve conflict and support the growth of the business.
- TSP Manufacturing Workshop - to ensure work is managed efficiently through the workshop.
- TSP Senior Team - to report operational and financial performance, opportunities etc.
- TSP Planning Team - to ensure the Forward Load and associated plans are accurate.
The Person Specification
- This role requires an experience people manager who can gain the respect, and therefore the support, of all skill sets on site.
- Experience of operation within a Unionised Environment is essential.
- Preferably from a a Manufacturing/Engineering, Project Delivery background with qualifications to degree level.
- Commercial awareness and experience of dealing with external stakeholders.
- Awareness of the techincal aspects of Machining, Fabrication and Assembly Processes within a High Integrity Environment, would be beneficial, as would knowledge of Quality performance within a similar environment.
- The post holder must be financially aware in order to critiique the day to day performance through the use of Financial Matrices.
- Leading a professional team of Functional Specialists consisting of Engineers, Progarmme Managers, Manufacturing Managers, Supply Chain, HR and Finance.
- Total workforce in excess of 200 and a turnover of £20+ million growing to £30 million in 2014/15 and further growth envisaged thereafter.
- P&L associated with all relevant contracts.
- Project specific safety performance.
- Customer plaudits/complaints.
- Quality performance of project deliverables.
- On time delivery to customer agreed dates.
- Tata Steel HS&E deliverables.
- Supply Chain deliverables in support of Manufacturing and Project Engineering Conformity
The Director & General Manager will be accountable to the TSP Managing Director for the overall performance of the business. Financial, Delivery, Quality, HS&E and Industrial Performance including the Political Imperatives of the loal community.
TSP operate a Matrix Management Organisational Structure whereby senior staff work within a mutually supportive framework with clear roles and responsibilities, and with access to a range of support services. However, due to the remote location and non-core nature of this facility the individual will be expected to exercise a significant level of autonomy.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
The Assessment Process:
- The initial discussions and first screenings will be with Elaine Rippon during late March/early April 2014
- The final stage assessment for shortlisted candidates will take place in late April 2014.