Vacancy Status: Closed. Another successful assignment for Oakleigh Resourcing
Role: Head of Engineering
Client: Tata Steel Projects (TSP)
Reporting to: Engineering Director
Location: Flexible North West location: West Cumbria or Central Manchester; at least 2-3 days to be spent on site in West Cumbria
Remuneration: Competitive salary and benefits package
Purpose of job
Overall responsibility for all engineering and associated technical support to multi disciplined project teams at the Workington Plant, working within a matrix structure across the TSP wider business. This role requires both strong technical and leadership skills.
- Overall responsibility fo rall engineering and associated technical support to project teams including:
- Document control
- Contract Specification Review
- Contract Particulars and QA/QC Specification
- Contract Materials Schedules
- Purchase Order Definition
- Lifetime Quality Requirements
- Leadership of teams of Engineers in the following areas:
- Project Engineeers
- Mechanical and E&I Engineering and Technicians teams
- Material Controllers and Expeditors
- Quality Control Technicians
- Leadership of technical teams providing support to a wide range of Clients requiring multi discipline and turnkey solutions in the nuclear and defence sectors.
- A member of the Manufacturing Business Senior Management Team and Member of the Steel and Industrial Energy and Power Steering Boards.
- Ensure that project designs comply fully with all statutory and regulatory provisions.
- Actively liaise with the Operations Manager and Asset Manager to identify and resolve any problems associated with the design of equipment, manufacturing difficulties etc.
- Regularly review Engineering costs.
- Ensure project change control procedures are established and ahdered to.
- Resolve conflicts over resource allocation.
- Ensure regular effective communication with clients and project teams.
- Apply procedures and systems to ensure the safety of staff, and others, affected by the operations of TSP.
- Any other duties as required.
Vision and Context
This role is required to lead a multi disciplined team of Engineers, Technicians and Materials Expeditors to implement professional design and project management practices and efficiency iimprovements in relation to the Steel/Refurbishment, Energy and Industrial & Power business.
- Internal and External Clients - to provide a focal point, meet their requirements, resolve conflict and grow the business.
- TSP Design Teams - to ensure work is managed efficeintly through the design office.
- TSP Workshop - to facilitate in resolution of manufacturing issues associated with design.
- TSP Senior Team - to report operational and financial performance, opportunities etc.
The Person Specification
- Stong mechanical engineering skills underprinned through exposure to multi-discipline engineering and manufacturing projects.
- Sound management techniques with the ability to apply these through all project phases.
- A working knowledge of safety and environmental standards associated with machinery and systems design and manufacture.
- An appreciation of safety and environmental issues in engineering works.
- Broad career base with hands-on involvement in a project related manufacturing environment.
- Degree qualified and experienced Mechanical Engineer.
- MIMechE or FIMechE qualified.
- Significant post graduate experience in engineering and manufacturing environement.
- Ideally with high integrity heavy bespoke manufacturing skills and some experience of capital projects.
- Experience within an equipment design environement is preferable.
- Ability to multi task, prioritise and work well under pressure.
- Strong leadership and people management skills; your preferred style being to encourage creativity and team working within a matrix structure.
- A team player capable of leading and focusing team members to achieve objectives.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Appreciation of the appliication of FEA and related analysis and design software.
- P&L associated with all relevant contracts.
- Competitive salary and benefits package
The Assessment Process:
- The initial discussions and first screenings will be with Elaine Rippon during late February/early March 2013.
- The final stage assessment for shortlisted candidates will take place in March/April 2013